Complete Amazon Marketing System

Sunday 27 February 2011

Sunday Stamps #8 - internet

Most of my stamps are from a much earlier age where of course there was no internet, but I have just about managed to stay with this week's theme from Viridian's Sunday Stamps blog. This 6d stamp from Zambia shows communications, old and new. I'm not sure of the age of the stamp so not sure what sort of machine is being operated on the right hand side of the stamp - some sort of telex machine possibly?

6d stamp from Zambia

You may also like my vintage postcards and vintage magazines blogs

7 comments:

  1. I'll try to find the history of this stamp.

    When I was in the Army I was involved with teleprinters and cipher machines many of which used punched tape. The first computer I cam across in industry used punched cards (Hollerith machine)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drums and teletype - I found this description on a site for Zambian stamps. So it is a teleprinter in use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a 1964 issue. Here is a page showing early Zambia stamps:

    http://www.earsathome.com/zambia.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. You matched the theme wonderfully! Nice to know this is a teletype machine.
    Thanks for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very cool take on the prompt...and it does bring the theme out well....kinda cool to communicate through drums...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice stamp....From smoke signals, the drum beater to telex is just half way I suppose!! We have reached a long way ahead now!! Well thought for the prompt!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails