Complete Amazon Marketing System

Friday 25 February 2011

Vintage postcard of Barnsley Cemetery, c.1908

I've been on holiday for the past week up in the wonderful Peak District, so apologies but my postcard blog entries this weekend will be brief, but hopefully still enjoyable. This is a postcard I thought I had already blogged but it would seem not. It's from 1908 and is of Barnsley Cemetery in Yorkshire. The architecture looks as though it came straight out of a Harry Potter film or PC game ... and the symmetry is incredible, although if you look closely there are subtle differences.

Barnsley Cemetery, Yorkshire, c.1908

As usual, 100's more vintage postcards on my web site

11 comments:

  1. Yes, it looks like part of Hogwarts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful old card and symmetry, too! Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who would buy a card of a cemetery? For the picture and the symmetry if nothing else. Interesting architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Bob - yes, that's a question I have as well. A cemetery is not typically something I can see many people buying a postcard of - pretty sure I don't have any more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Victorians did build elaborate cemeteries, possibly because death was all around them. Very impressive. I've never seen an old card of one although I have seen a modern one, but it was more an photo of an old graveyard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this is kind of right out of Harry Potter for sure, and quite lovely indeed. These kinds of postcards always make me pause, and usually I'll buy as many as I can afford if I run across them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tracy Chevalier's novel,"Falling Angels", begins on the day Queen Victoria died. It was suggested that her subjects dress in proper mourning and visit a cemetery. I imagined the cemetery - which plays an important part in the story - to look much like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great postcard. Nice court yard.
    Tete

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely - I'm a fan of symmetry!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails