Complete Amazon Marketing System

Friday 4 February 2011

A bit tatty but loved nevertheless

Well given the title of this post, I could be talking about many different things, perhaps also including myself. However today's blog update is dedicated to what I refer to as my 'tatty pile'. This is a pile of vintage postcards which are typically not good enough quality to make it on to my web pages, but are worth keeping hold of nevertheless.

The first postcard is a street scene in Skegness. What I love about this postcard is the detail of the shops ... and the fact that it's car-free.

Lumley Road, Skegness, c.1912

This next postcard is of Manchester Road in Burnley. What's slightly odd about this postcard is that the dimensions and perspective seem a bit out of sync, but that adds to the overall charm.

Manchester Road, Burnley

And finally for this post, here's a postcard of Port Sunlight. By the sound of the name you might think it's somewhere in the Caribbean, but in fact it's a historic village in the Wirral. The village was the dream child of William Hesketh Lever who recognised the importance of a happy and health workforce for the success of his soap business.

 Lever Free Library and Museum, Port Sunlight

As usual 100's more vintage postcards on my web site, including a new batch uploaded this week.

15 comments:

  1. three wonderful cards! definitely keepers, tatty or not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they're all beautiful! Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great set of cards, perfect title. I visited Port Sunlight last year, for the first time, it looks exactly the same as the card. What vision Lever had.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have any idea where those places are, but they look like they would have been nice to visit. and I love the name Port Sunlight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not tatty at all! Enjoyable - especially the last one with the run over writing. Perhaps letters are a better answer to his/her need for space. But then we wouldn't have seen the postcard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What pretty cards of quaint little places. I also don't know where they are, but I would have loved to visited them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A look back is always a keeper, and these show details of how things once were. Great postcards.
    Tete

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic cards, little pieces of history. As Joy says, Port sunlight hasn't changed at all. I found it a bit eerie, all those identical houses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wonderful cards, i love the old architecture and the details the cards share with us about another time ... and no traffic!!!! Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always wonder why some people would write over the picture! But that's just me I guess! These are of such a lovely place...like home sweet home!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! All postcards are keepers. Wrinkles and scuffs are just more character.

    ReplyDelete
  12. An interesting thing about all three of these postcards is that each has a street that narrows into the distance. They are all wonderful in their own way, tatty or not.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The problem with Skeggy was that it was a four mile hike to reach the sea. Well it always seemed that far. It must be nearly 50 years since I went there; there were more cars them than on your card. Keep it - it may become as famous as the Skegness poster of the fisherman.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for all the great comments. You've all inspired me to look a bit deeper into my tatty pile, so maybe I'll do another similar posting next week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are wonderful! Thank you for sharing from your "tatty" file. I loved seeing these.

    Have a fabulous weekend, my dear.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails