Complete Amazon Marketing System

Saturday 26 February 2011

Sepia Saturday 63: Port of London

Having just returned from the marvellous Peak District, I did think I should dedicate a Sepia Saturday blog post to that area but alas am nowhere near organised enough this week. However, for once I am able to follow Alan's theme. I really like the postcard below as firstly I have never seen Tower Bridge open, and secondly ships of that sort of size no longer come up the Thames as far.

Port of London

And for my second picture today, I think I may have blogged this before and apologies that it's not sepia, but it's such a great postcard I'm sure you'll excuse the duplication. Again we see the bridge open to ships along with a busy river scene.

Tower Bridge, London, by the artist Frank H Mason, c.1903

100's more vintage postcards can be found on my web site, including lots of London

11 comments:

  1. The second card is great especially with the sailing barges included.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both are excellent postcards of a time very long ago....and it is very interesting to see the Tower Bridge open for ships to sail on through!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful postcards! The first conveys a definite sense of industrial power. The second is much more romantic. I like them both! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are both excellent, and of course I love the second one for the dramatic colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice photos reminds me of the old nursery rhyme, Londo Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down; London Bridge is falling down, my fair lady! These Sepia posts do bring out the memories! Sing along with me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting how the artist made the bridge shorter...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I've ever seen a photo of the bridge with its span up. I do remember walking out to midspan and mentally pinching myself that I was there and all of my family were still asleep on the other side of the world. Love the watercolor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Smashing stuff, as usual. And I will see if I can find an archive picture for next week that will allow you to bring in your Peak District experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Last summer on holiday in London, I took the new fast Thames boat down to Greenwich. We passed a an old coalier going under the bridge just like this. I was struck by how much the Thames riverfront changes, the Tower bridge may no longer be the premier postcard view.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is this, then, the London Bridge of the nursery rhyme? And is the bridge with the prison cells in the tower? I especially like the 2nd postcard even if it isn't sepia. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great preservation of history of London. Love these cards.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails