Complete Amazon Marketing System

Tuesday 13 September 2011

Today's post is brought to you by the letter 'A' ... perhaps

Whenever I get what I think might be a lettercard, I always think that perhaps I'm imagining that I can see a letter in the design. I definitely felt this about the vintage postcard of the letter 'W' that I blogged about a while ago, and this recently acquired vintage postcard is perhaps causing me even more to question my vision. But I'm sure that, what I assume to be some sort of musical instrument, is in fact supposed to represent the letter 'A'. However, I've checked out more cards in the series on the Tuck database, and none of the others seem to suggest a letter at all - what does everyone think? The postcard is a hand-coloured 'carbonette' and was published by Raphael Tuck, in the Fair Women series, number 8801, and dates back to 1918.

Vintage birthday greetings postcard, c.1918

As usual, 100's more vintage postcards on my web site

3 comments:

  1. I think you're definitely right on this one. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely, it really is lovely :-)
    It could be an A actually, maybe it's just a bit too little to be meant as an A, but I don't really know much about cards, so I can't judge really :-)
    Big hug to your wonderful country, I miss it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The musical instrument in the young lady's hands is a double-reed Greek aulos, one of the best known of the ancient flutes.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails