Complete Amazon Marketing System

Friday 30 September 2011

Sepia Saturday 94 - vintage postcards of Essex

Despite searching through both my vintage postcards and my vintage magazines, I was at a loss to find anything relating to any of the obvious prompts in this week's Sepia Saturday. I have nothing on Australia, Queensland, polo, horses or toys. But then I noticed Jean Harlow. I don't actually have anything relating to Jean Harlow either, but there's a place called Harlow in Essex, and I do have lots of vintage postcards of Essex. So, in convoluted and roundabout way I am theming this week, albeit a bit tenuously.

Essex is one of those places where I can't remember ever going. Ok, so I've probably been to the parts of it which border on to East London, such as Epping Forest, but I'm pretty sure I've never made it as far as the coast. When I used to travel abroad a lot with work, I would always enjoy gazing out of the aircraft window as we descended towards London along the outer reaches of the Thames Estuary, with Essex to the north and Kent to the south, mentally adding both coasts to my list of places to visit.

Clacton-on-Sea, pier approach and bridge, c.1916

Southend-on-Sea, beach and pleasure yachts, c.1926

Westcliff-on-Sea, on the cliffs

As usual 100's more vintage postcards on my web site, including a recently added Essex page. I still have a backlog of approx 200 to process but hopefully they'll get added over the next few weeks, although given the fantastic weather we're enjoying in the UK this week, I can't see me spending much time in front of the scanner or computer this weekend.

    

10 comments:

  1. I've been to Harlow - once. Otherwise only to Brentford to run a training course for Essex Fire & Rescue Service.
    The pleasure yachts at Southend look a bit crowded to me but the sails have something majestic about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That thematic thread maybe stretches a little thin in places, but - as always - some grand old images.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well at least you have lots of lovely seaside scenes - should be a few more of those this weekend with any luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the way your found your entry for today. Pretty creative. Love reading about British things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. With those crowds to negotiate, I'm not sure I'd want to head for Southen-on-Sea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Creative job traveling along the theme thread! The sailboats truly do look majestic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice photo cards. The yachts in the 2nd look like they would be considerable work to navigate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the old 'pleasure yachts' in the picture in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your roundabout trip to reach your theme was definitely worth it! Great cards!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got lost in Essex while traveling in Britain on my own. I gave up and just drove out of town. Driving on the "wrong" side and coping with a map was just too much. The only other place I did that was in York. Looks like I missed an interesting town.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails