Complete Amazon Marketing System

Friday 15 October 2010

Vintage postcards of Blackpool Tower

Searching around for a topic this week I came across several vintage postcards of Blackpool Tower in my collection. As I think I mentioned in a previous posting, Blackpool is only ever somewhere I've visited via my postcard collection, but looking at these postcards again makes me think I am long overdue a visit. The sheer enormity of the 518 foot, 116 year old tower on this first postcard is incredible. Apparently inspired by the Eifel Tower, would it be so wrong of me to say I prefer this one?

 The Tower, Blackpool

 The Children's Corner, Blackpool, c.1920, with the tower in the background

 The Sands, Pier and Promenade, Blackpool, with the tower in the background

Tower, Wheel and Old Promenade, Blackpool, c.1907


As always, 100's more vintage postcards on my web site

12 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous place! That tower is at least as beautiful as the Eiffel tower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cards with the Ferris wheel. I do love the color on these old cards. Something romantic about them, I guess! Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a wonderful tower, a little sturdier looking than the Eiffel Tower and very appropriate for the seaside. Perhaps if you go out there you could take some current photos of the same places you show on the cards?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I image you could do Blackpool through the ages on postcards, the Tower and the trams never change but all around them does.
    They have spent a lot a money on the seafront recently, I wonder what it looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not know this existed--thank you for posting these wonderful postcards, and for the history behind this fine landmark.

    Suffice it to say, I like it better, too. lol

    Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My parents lived just outside Blackpool so my father picked up a few cards like this. They do bring back memories for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Note all the people on the beach - and how dressed up they are, to our eyes! It was only proper back then of course.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually, I prefer this tower as well! Great cards this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool! I had never heard of this tower before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Blackpool Tower has a magnificent ballroom in its base. Also worth a visit. Blackpool used to be an elegant beach resort. Now it's fun for the masses, but still it's fun - if you like fish & chips and a huge lunapark. Like I do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I spent last week in Blackpool. I will be blogging photos of the tower this week. I had a great time there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! I too did not know of the existence of this tower until your post!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails