Complete Amazon Marketing System

Saturday 19 January 2013

Sepia Saturday 160 - vintage postcards of piers

Thanks for the suggestion of piers as an option for this week's Sepia Saturday. I would have been struggling to stay on theme otherwise. Unsurprisingly piers do feature quite frequently on vintage postcards, or any postcards for that matter, so I had quite a few to choose from. These are some of my favourites and they vary from the very basic Eastham pier, to the grand piers of Brighton and Blackpool, and a few that fit in between.

Vintage postcard of Eastham Pier, Lancashire
Vintage postcard of Eastham Pier, Lancashire

Vintage postcard of North Pier, Blackpool, Lancashire, c.1938
Vintage postcard of North Pier, Blackpool, Lancashire, c.1938

Vintage postcard of Palace Pier, Brighton, Sussex
Vintage postcard of Palace Pier, Brighton, Sussex

Vintage postcard of the pier, Skegness, Lincolnshire
Vintage postcard of the pier, Skegness, Lincolnshire

Vintage postcard of Clarence Pier and Esplanade, Southsea, Hampshire
Vintage postcard of Clarence Pier and Esplanade, Southsea, Hampshire

Vintage postcard of the Central Pier, Morecombe, Lancashire, c.1905
Vintage postcard of the Central Pier, Morecombe, Lancashire, c.1905

Many more vintage postcards can be found in my online shop

    

11 comments:

  1. I know/knew of three of these. Skegness was the nearest to us when I was young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something about a pier arouses a feeling of anticipation. A very nice selection - lovely tints.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blackpool's North Pier is wonderful! As are all of your piers. I always enjoy learning and seeing them, they were quite the show places almost back in the day....not so much any more at least not in America!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think there are many piers on American postcards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They all have their own characteristic shape and arrangement of towers and turrets, which I discovered when trying to identify a modern photo of a pier that my cousin took. Somewhere we need a definitive list of them all with postcard views to match! Is this it, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe that in all of Holland we just have one pier (in Scheveningen and it is in bad shape) whereas in England they seem to have popped up like mushrooms. But they certainly add grandeur to these seaside resorts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, there was something wonderful about an old seaside pier. Whenever I go anywhere which still has a pier, I always insist on visiting it : such opportunities won't be available for much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Virginia Beach used to have such a seaside pier, but it's long gone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice :-D
    I've been in Brighton, on the pier, it was so lovely :-) even if I was scared , cos I could see the sea below me @'.'@
    Maybe you don't really care, but here's the link to a pier we had in Ostia (a town on the sea, near Rome). Germans destroyed it during the war and now there's someone who would like to rebuild something similar :-)
    I hope you'll like it, even if it's in Italy :-)
    http://www.romasparita.eu/foto-roma-sparita/files/2011/12/romasparita_sds76.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great selection of postcards, pity they're shown so small.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails