Complete Amazon Marketing System

Wednesday 5 January 2011

Sepia Saturday 56 - Chichester ... oops, I mean Canterbury

This is a very curious vintage postcard. It's actually of Canterbury Cathedral, but the postcard has been printed with the words Chichester Cathedral instead. I probably would not have noticed this mistake myself unless someone had crossed out Chichester and replaced in with Canterbury. And just to double check myself, I searched out a vintage postcard of each and, as you can see, they look very different. The postcard with the erroneous title was printed by Valentine - I wonder how many of these they printed up before they noticed the error? Maybe I have a real rarity here.

Canterbury Cathedral masquerading as Chichester Cathedral

 Canterbury Cathedral

Chichester Cathedral (the real one)

As usual, 100's more vintage postcards can be found on my web site
 

8 comments:

  1. yes, it's pretty obvious one is not the other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if they are like stamps which have been mis-printed where their value goes up by huge amounts. Great find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy, somebody got the sack when they got back to work.

    How fun to find this. And how lovely all of the cathedrals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so exciting to find those misprints -- I have a vintage Beatles button that was spelled Beetles. . . a rare find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, they are so very different these two cathedrals. You may have something quite rare.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was all going so well with the first letter, then something happened.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i had the same thought as Alan. stamps with mistakes are valuable. is the market for postcards the same? would be cool!!
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice, each one, with such remarkable beauty! Great places!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails