Complete Amazon Marketing System

Tuesday 3 August 2010

Vintage postcards by Mabel Lucie Attwell

A bit of a departure from my normal vintage postcard blog posts today. I'm not normally a fan of comic postcards but thought these ones had a unique quality and innocence about them. They are all drawn by the artist Mabel Lucie Attwell, and published by Valentine some time in the 1950's.

Why be 'out' - an' 'on the go'
There's something to be said
You Know
For pussy cats - an' knitting!

Published by Valentine, number 1165, c.1956


Down in the forest
Something Stirred!

Published by Valentine, number 1865, c.1953


Thumbs up - an' don't
Let's look at the 'oles!

Published by Valentine, number 1161, c.1956


As always, postcards like these can be found on my vintage postcards web site

7 comments:

  1. These are absolutely wonderful. I have fond memories of her illustrations from children's books - and especially from The Water Babies, which I found absolutely mesmerizing when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely cards, they are really innocent aren't they.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In looking at vintage comic postcards, I always feel I don't quite understand the humor. I do love the cat/knitting card a lot! So true - if you have a cat and a knitting project, what else do you need? ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice examples of her artistry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these ... especially the first one as we have a new kitty and the knitting is on hold while she is awake!!! Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agree with Aimee - feels like there is a bit of gauze over the humor processing part of my brain and there's some context from those times that I just don't have an understanding of. Cute cards, though.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails