Complete Amazon Marketing System

Wednesday 16 June 2010

Greetings postcards with horseshoes

For today's vintage postcard blog post I have decided to take a break from UK topographical cards and switched theme to greetings postcards, and specifically those containing horseshoes. I particularly like the first one because of its subtle use of colouring ... I've saved you from those which are a bit garish and over the top.

What's interesting though is that the horseshoes are all upsidedown. As a young child I was always told that horseshoes should be displayed the other way up to hold the good luck in ... and I guess if they are used as door knockers then they wouldn't work too well.

If new friends are silver, old friends are gold, c.1908

Birthday greetings

With best wishes, c.1910

A glad birthday, c.1924, published by Philco


As usual, vintage postcards like these and 100's of others can be found on my vintage postcards web site

2 comments:

  1. interesting...i always thought one had to keep the open end of a horseshoe pointed upwards to catch good luck and that the luck would be "lost" if the open end faced downwards. looking at these cards, however, i'm thinking that maybe i had this wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's particularly nice to see these as a group. Very nice. I like your header too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails